Reluctant evangelism...
Well term is back underway at Warwick, it began last Wednesday so things have been a bit slow up to now but this week it will be a return to full throttle!
Last week I realised that I had to push myself further in evangelism. I'm one of those people who finds it much more comfortable talking about evangelism than actually doing it, I'm good at finding very spiritual and "important" reasons not to do it so on Wednesday I knew I had to! A few things cropped up that looked like convenient (and holy) get outs but I knew that not going out and sharing that afternoon would have been a totally unacceptable drop out. So, despite my best efforts I couldn't find any students free and willing to come out and join me so after sidestepping the convenient "I had no one to go with" excuse I went out and had a great time, I met an engineering student named Richard and we chatted for about an hour. He has a Catholic background and goes to mass, he would even call himself a Christian but he said he really wasn't sure if he fitted what it meant to "be a Christian". We talked through the gospel and we got to the circles in the Knowing God Personally booklet


Richard said he was not the person on the left but he wasn't the person on the right either, he thought he was nearer the right but not all the way there. He then said that he would like to be even more to the right but there was something stopping him from wanting to be totally the Christ-directed person! It was a great conversation and we agreed to get together again this week, I have been trying to contact him but without success, please, please pray that he would get back to me!
I was, and generally am, a reluctant so and so when it comes to grasping the nettle of evangelism (yes, even in my job...I much prefer discipleship!) but it is such a significant thing to do for all of us as believers. Perhaps you can do the same with a friend/colleague/neighbour this week? It won't hurt I promise!
Last week I realised that I had to push myself further in evangelism. I'm one of those people who finds it much more comfortable talking about evangelism than actually doing it, I'm good at finding very spiritual and "important" reasons not to do it so on Wednesday I knew I had to! A few things cropped up that looked like convenient (and holy) get outs but I knew that not going out and sharing that afternoon would have been a totally unacceptable drop out. So, despite my best efforts I couldn't find any students free and willing to come out and join me so after sidestepping the convenient "I had no one to go with" excuse I went out and had a great time, I met an engineering student named Richard and we chatted for about an hour. He has a Catholic background and goes to mass, he would even call himself a Christian but he said he really wasn't sure if he fitted what it meant to "be a Christian". We talked through the gospel and we got to the circles in the Knowing God Personally booklet


Richard said he was not the person on the left but he wasn't the person on the right either, he thought he was nearer the right but not all the way there. He then said that he would like to be even more to the right but there was something stopping him from wanting to be totally the Christ-directed person! It was a great conversation and we agreed to get together again this week, I have been trying to contact him but without success, please, please pray that he would get back to me!
I was, and generally am, a reluctant so and so when it comes to grasping the nettle of evangelism (yes, even in my job...I much prefer discipleship!) but it is such a significant thing to do for all of us as believers. Perhaps you can do the same with a friend/colleague/neighbour this week? It won't hurt I promise!

2 Comments:
At 7:52 am,
Peter Whitfield said…
:-)
At 6:03 pm,
Anonymous said…
go for it mate, evangelism is awesome and God is using you!! One more for Jesus. Amen!
Post a Comment
<< Home