Retreat day in Stratford...

Well today I had my November retreat day to seek the Lord and after extensive (internal) debates about where on earth to go (no sitting in picturesque Tynemouth now I live in Brum!) I chose a day trip to Stratford-upon-Avon to test their array of coffee shops and Shakespeare styled things! Off I went, no computer, no phone, just me, my car, a Bible, a journal and The Fuel and The Flame.I had a great, if challenging day. I started off in a very nice coffee shop reading over 1 John 1 & 2 which I have been looking over this past few weeks, that was fun as I connected it all together and thought about what God had been teaching me.
I went from there to the Guild Chapel (which is pictured here!) and spent some time praying through what the Lord was saying to me and challenging me about. I also prayed through 1 John chapters 1 & 2 there which was awesome! It was an extremely peaceful place right in the middle of Stratford but it felt like the middle of nowhere!I left there and went to Starbucks...hmmm, not quite the same, to journal what I had been praying about and also to write all the things I had been learning from 1 John both today and also over the past few weeks. I really enjoyed that and sat glued to my table...partly because it was half term and if I had been silly enough to move I would never have sat down again!
I wandered off after a couple of hours for a prayer walk down the banks of the Avon and spent an hour or so chatting over all sorts of things with God. Walking along with God really is fantastic, its such a privilege we have in communicating with the King.
I then took a seat in the public library (next door to Shakespeare's birthplace!) and read a chapter of The Fuel and The Flame. This was just yet another thing to challenge me! The chapter I read was all about our life vision and goal...what am I really living for? Yowza...deep question! I found that hard, going through it with Steve will be interesting next week!
After that I took another nice walk with the Lord around the town before getting back in the car and having a "prayer drive" (after paying £7.90 for the car park...they fleece you in Stratford!). I got home about 5pm and locked myself away in room to write up the things God had been saying and worship Him to some music.
God taught me a lot today...when I got home I wrote nine paragraphs in my journal, each one a different subject God had been teaching me about. It really was great but God brought up some tough things, its always good to allow God to deal with those though! I feel reinvigorated somewhat after today and God has given me a new burden for the lost on campuses near and far, I feel more focussed again on seeing the Great Commission fulfilled in this generation.
Tomorrow I have breakfast with G.P. Foote (American staff who works with international students, he's over visiting) before driving up to Quinta to do my seminar on 'Dealing with Doubts and Fears' at the Warwick CU Houseparty. I'm going to stay there overnight before coming back on Sunday. A long but fun weekend awaits...spending today solely with the Lord was a great start.

2 Comments:
At 8:52 am,
Peter Whitfield said…
Good morning Andy. Enjoy your day off today. laters
At 1:35 am,
Brittney said…
I GET TO SEE YOU THIS WEEKEND.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
you're in my city right now.
Post a Comment
<< Home